Full course description
The Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) is a very flexible platform to create quality online and blended courses. This course is a whirlwind tour of the tools that Canvas LMS has to offer and how to use them.
This course is designed for educators who are interested in using Canvas learning management system to create and online component to their classrooms. Canvas tools, best practices in course design, and file management will be covered. By the end of the courses participants will create an online lesson within Canvas.
- Setting up an optimal course structure
- Using the rich content editor to create pages, discussion, and assignments
- Communications tools: announcements, conversations, conferences, collaborations
- Best practices for course management of files, pages, and rubrics
- Assessments and gradebook features
Duration: 15-20 hours
Time Frame: 4 weeks (suggested)
Audience: K-12 teachers and course designers
Course Format: Independent Study
Independent Study (IS) courses are self-directed and do not have a course instructor. Participants will:
- Manage your own learning experience through pacing and completion
- Set goals and define what is worthwhile for you to learn
- Take initiative and responsibility for your own learning
- Keep a reflective journal to process new knowledge
- Utilize the discussion board to share thoughts and projects with others
Participants will have access to the course for three months.
Learning Modules: This course is divided into five learning modules which contain lessons, discussions, projects, and assessments. Estimated times for each module are provided below. Four weeks is suggested to complete the course.
Module 1 –Building Blocks
Time: Approximately 3 hours
- Customize course navigation
- Utilize the Rich Content Editor
- Add LTI apps to enrich your course
Module 2 – Assessment
Time: Approximately 4 hours
- Create assignments, discussions and quizzes
- Adjust assignment options
- Create a rubric for online assessment
Module 3 – Gradebook
Time: Approximately 2.5 hours
- Setup Gradebook options
- Test assignments with the "test student"
- Use feedback options such as; crocodoc, SpeedGrader, and rubrics
Module 4 – Communicate
Time: Approximately 1.5 hours
- Make a course announcement
- Communicate with conversations and conferences
- Use collaborations to enrich your course
Module 5 – Putting it all together!
Time: Approximately 3.5 hours
- Manage your files and pages
- Create a module for your course
- Identify ways you can structure your lesson content to promote engagement