Full course description
The Canvas Learning Management System (LMS) is a very flexible platform to create quality online and blended courses. This course is a whirlwind tour of the tools that Canvas LMS has to offer and how to use them.
This course is designed for educators who are interested in using Canvas learning management system to create and online component to their classrooms. Canvas tools, best practices in course design, and file management will be covered. By the end of the courses participants will create an online lesson within Canvas.
- Setting up an optimal course structure
- Using the rich content editor to create pages, discussion, and assignments
- Communications tools: announcements, conversations, conferences, collaborations
- Best practices for course management of files, pages, and rubrics
- Assessments and gradebook features
Duration: 15-20 hours
Time Frame: 4 weeks (suggested)
Audience: K-12 teachers and course designers
Course Format: Facilitated Course
Facilitated Courses (FC) have an instructor to guide the learning experience during the first 30 days. Course will have:
- Calendar with assigned due dates
- Reflective journaling, Web 2.0 projects, and group discussions
- Fully graded projects and quality feedback from course instructor
- Instructor announcements to help support the online classroom
- Certificate of completion upon meeting requirements within the calendar
Participants will have access to course an additional 60 days after facilitation period.
Learning Modules: This course is divided into five learning modules which contain lessons, discussions, projects, and assessments. Estimated times for each module are provided below. Four weeks is suggested to complete the course.
Module 1 –Building Blocks
Time: Approximately 3 hours
- Customize course navigation
- Utilize the Rich Content Editor
- Add LTI apps to enrich your course
Module 2 – Assessment
Time: Approximately 4 hours
- Create assignments, discussions and quizzes
- Adjust assignment options
- Create a rubric for online assessment
Module 3 – Gradebook
Time: Approximately 2.5 hours
- Setup Gradebook options
- Test assignments with the "test student"
- Use feedback options such as; crocodoc, SpeedGrader, and rubrics
Module 4 – Communicate
Time: Approximately 1.5 hours
- Make a course announcement
- Communicate with conversations and conferences
- Use collaborations to enrich your course
Module 5 – Putting it all together!
Time: Approximately 3.5 hours
- Manage your files and pages
- Create a module for your course
- Identify ways you can structure your lesson content to promote engagement