Full course description
First course in the designer series, grounded within quality instructional, graphics, and web design principles. Explore lesson and course presentation of digital content. Delivery platform agnostic.
This course will demonstrate introductory skills of designing and developing K-12 blended and online learning experiences. Using effective web and instructional design elements, participants will create an interactive online lesson that can be used in the online or blended classroom.
- Elements of quality web design and organization
- Review of the iNACOL National Standards for Quality Content and Teaching
- Strategic planning starting with standards and expectations at the course, unit, and individual lesson levels
- Application of ADDIE (analyze, design, develop, implement, and evaluate) model
- Evaluation and application copyright, fair use, and accessibility policies
Duration: 15-20 hours
TimeFrame: 4 weeks (suggested)
Audience: K-12 teachers and course designers
Course Format: Facilitated Course
Facilitated Courses (FC) have an instructor to guide the learning experience during the first 30 days. Courses will have:
- Calendar with assigned due dates
- Reflective journaling, Web 2.0 projects, and group discussions
- Fully graded projects and quality feedback from course instructor
- Instructor announcements to help support the online classroom
- Certificate of completion upon meeting requirements within the calendar
Participants will have access to course an additional 60 days after facilitation period.
Learning Modules: This course is divided into four learning modules which contain lessons, discussions, check for understanding interactives, projects, and assessments. Estimated times for each module are provided below. Four weeks is suggested to complete the course.
Module 1 – Basic Design Elements
Time: Approximately 3 hours
- Discover why you need instructional design.
- Examine basic elements of design.
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of design elements.
Module 2 – ADDIE - Starts with Analysis
Time: Approximately 4 hours
- Examine the ADDIE Instruction Design Model.
- Consider the Analysis phase of the ADDIE model.
- Explore and apply the iNACOL National Standards for Online Content.
- Standard A: Content
Module 3 – Design and Development
Time: Approximately 5 hours
- Apply the iNACOL National Standards for Online Content:
- Standard B: Instructional Design
- Standard C: Student Assessment
- Explore best practices for instruction and assessment.
- Practice the principles of ADDIE Design phase.
Module 4 – Implementation and Evaluation
Time: Approximately 4 hours
- Develop a digital content lesson.
- Examine the Design Thinking model.
- Preview the steps with the ADDIE Implementation and Evaluation phases.
- Reflect upon the iNACOL National Standards for Online Content:
- Standard E: Course Evaluation and Support